Rudolf Bauer, PhD
Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Pharmacognosy, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Rudolf Bauer attained his PhD at University of Munich in 1984. He has been Associate Professor at University of Düsseldorf from 1993-2002, Full Professor and Head of the Department of Pharmacognosy, University of Graz, since 2002, and of Head of the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences University of Graz, since 2004.
He has authored over 360 scientific publications and 6 patents. His H-index is 57 (data collected from Google Scholar, May 11, 2017). He has been President of the Society for Medicinal Plant Research (GA) from 2002-2007, Founding President of The Good Practice in TCM Research Association from 2012-2014,∙and the President of the International Society of Ethnopharmacology for 2015-2017. He acts as the Vice -Chairman of the Expert Committee of the 1st Board of Specialty Committee of Multidimensional Evaluation of Genuine Medicinal Material of World Federation of Chinese Medicine Societies since 2015, and Chairman of the working group on TCM of the European Pharmacopoeia Commission since 2017.
Besides Longhua Chinese Medicine, Dr. Bauer is also an editorial board member of Journal of Ethnopharmacology, Journal of Herbs, Spices & Medicinal Plants, Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines, Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine , etc.
Dr. Bauer’s main research areas are:
• Quality control and standardization of herbal drugs and herbal medicinal products
• Isolation and structure elucidation of biologically active plant constituents
• Pharmacological screening of plant constituents with anti-inflammatory activity (e.g. inhibition of 5-LOX, COX-1/2, NFkB, iNOS)
• Isolation and structure elucidation of plant constituents with anticancer and antimicrobial activity
• Phytochemical and pharmacological investigation of Echinacea species
• Quality control of Chinese herbal drugs
• Pharmakokinetic studies with herbal medicinal products
• Plant metabolomics based drug discovery
• Interaction of herbal medicinal products with gut microbiota
He has received numerous awards in the field, including:
In 2017, Qihuang International Prize of China Association of Chinese Medicine for the great contributions and achievements in the field of scientific research and development in Chinese medicine (China)
In 2017, Outstanding Contribution Award der Shanghai International Conference on TCM and Natural Medicine
In 2018, SFE Outstanding International Scientist Award (Pranab Banerji Memorial Award) der Society for Ethnopharmacology India (SSFE)) for outstanding contributions in the field of ethnobotany, ethnopharmacology and medicinal plant research.
Terms of Appointment: March 2018 - March 2020